Florida Direct Access Physical Therapy
Getting physical therapy has always been an essential stage of the recovery process if you’ve been injured or have suffered from chronic pain. And the traditional way to go about receiving physical therapy was to go to your doctor and get a prescription for PT so insurance would cover the cost. Not exactly ideal, right? Well, for Florida residents, there’s no need to go to the doctor for a physical therapy prescription. Why? Florida Direct Access.
What Is Florida Direct Access?
Florida Direct Access is a game-changer for physical therapy providers and patients. Simply put, it allows you to bypass the doctor and receive PT without the need for a prescription. With Florida Direct Access, a physical therapist in Florida can implement a treatment plan for 30 days regardless of your injury.
This is advantageous for many parties. For doctors, they no longer need to add someone else to their already-packed schedules as long as the 30-day treatment plan is sufficient time for a patient’s rehab. For insurance companies, they no longer need to wait for a prescription to approve a PT plan. And, most of all, for the patient, you’re no longer required to take yet another trip to the doctor for the sole purpose of getting a prescription. You can head right to your local physical therapist, like those at Physical Therapy Now, and start getting physical therapy treatment.
Are There Any Restrictions?
There are a few restrictions, but none that outweigh the benefits and advantages of being able to access physical therapy without a physician’s referral.
- If the patient’s condition falls outside of the physical therapy scope of practice, the physical therapist must refer the patient to, or consult with, a qualified healthcare practitioner.
- If the physical therapy care plan exceeds 30 days, and a physician has not assessed the condition, then the physical therapist must have a practitioner of record review and sign the plan. Please note: This doesn’t apply if the patient has been examined by a physician in a different state and diagnosed by the physician as having a condition for which PT is required and if the physical therapist is treating that specific condition.
- Physical therapists may not implement a treatment plan for patients in an acute care setting such as a hospital, ambulatory surgical center, or mobile surgical facility.
Florida Direct Access Physical Therapy
If you’re ready for physical therapy, with or without a doctor’s prescription, head to one of our many Physical Therapy Now locations throughout Florida. We take the coronavirus pandemic very seriously and are taking the required and necessary precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of both our clients and our staff while still providing you with the essential physical therapy you need right now. Among the measures we’re taking at this time are:
- Limiting the number of healthy clients in our clinic at one time. We’re adhering to all social distancing guidelines by only allowing a maximum of 10 people (including staff) in the clinic at once. We’re also limiting our clients to three per hour in each location.
- Cautiously and properly disinfecting and cleaning all of our equipment. When you come into one of our many clinics, we want you to feel safe and reassured that we’re maintaining the cleanest facility possible. We’re thoroughly cleaning all equipment after every therapy session and then going back and cleaning again throughout the day.
- Offering several sanitary and cleansing solutions. We have plenty of hand soap and hand sanitizer on hand and ready to use for all our clients and staff. Plus, if you feel safer with gloves, we’re happy to provide those as well.
- Providing teletherapy. Everyone deserves physical therapy if they’re in need. That’s why we’re proud to offer teletherapy to any of our clients who have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, or those who have traveled or have been in contact with someone who has traveled. Or, if you feel better doing therapy in your home as opposed to being out, this ensures you can get what you need from the comfort and safety of your home.
Physical Therapy Now is always here to help you. If you’re in need of physical therapy, give us a call at (800) 481-4582 to discuss appointment options. And if you can’t make it into one of our facilities, ask about teletherapy!
Florida Direct Access Physical Therapy | Physical Therapy Now
Meta Description: Learn how you can eliminate an unnecessary step when it comes to your medical appointments & physical therapy care. Florida Direct Access is the answer.
Image Alt Tag: a man in a black suit and red tie running on an arrow indicating direct access to physical therapy