Car Accidents and Holiday Travel
Written by Andy Zapata
According to AAA, approximately 49.3 million people across the country planned on driving at least 50 miles for Thanksgiving. The numbers will be similar for the Christmas season, which means lots of drivers on the road, which makes travel that much riskier.
Here in Miami…
It’s a sad reality, but many people will be victims of car accidents throughout the holiday season, both nationwide and right here in the Greater Miami Area. The National Safety Council predicted an estimated 48,100 people nationwide would be injured in a car crash during the Christmas holiday period, to the point of needing medical consultation.
Locally, in November and December of 2018, there were a total of 10,717 car accidents in Miami-Dade County, 6,905 in Broward County, and 4,791 in Palm Beach County; for all of 2018, a total of 72,011 injuries that resulted from accidents occurred in the Greater Miami Area. Think about those numbers for a moment. More than 72,000 injuries – and many of those required physical therapy.
I’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident…Now What?
- Seek medical attention. Even if you may not immediately feel as though your injury is severe enough to warrant medical attention, it’s a good idea to either go to the hospital or get an appointment with your physician as soon as possible. Sometimes injuries from car accidents don’t surface right away…you may feel fine in the immediate aftermath of the accident, but pain may set in a few days later.
- Act quickly. For insurance purposes, it’s important to see a doctor soon after your accident, because that’s the window most insurance companies have a specific time frame that deemed “reasonable” to seek medical attention. Once that time frame lapses, insurance companies may be within their rights to deny your injury claim, which could mean you’ll rack up some pretty large medical bills for treatment.
- Consult an attorney if needed. If you’re having issues with claimsit’s a good idea to contact a personal injury lawyer right away to ensure you’re getting all coverages included in your claim.
How Will Physical Therapy Help My Injuries?
Many injuries commonly sustained in car accidents tend to linger and worsen over time if treatment is not received. A consistent course of physical therapy:
- Helps manage pain from your injuries
- Helps prevent long-term damage to your body
- Increases flexibility where you might be experiencing tightness or soreness
- Builds or rebuilds strength
- Helps expedite your recovery
- May help you avoid surgery for an injury
Whether you’ve sustained whiplash, broken bones, a concussion, a spinal or neck injury, or chronic pain and soreness, physical therapy can help get you on the mend quickly and back to a normal life.
Car Accidents and Holiday Travel
Physical Therapy Now wishes you only the best and safest holiday season. If, however, you find yourself in a car accident, get in touch with us quickly so we can help get you back on the road to recovery. We offer chiropractic care, occupational therapy, on-site therapy, in-home therapy, cyber rehab, laser therapy, and more.
We have 20 locations across all Miami-Dade areas, so give us a call at (800) 481-4582 or fill out a form online to set up your first appointment. Don’t worry about insurance—our insurance experts will examine your policy to determine your coverages so you have a full understanding of any out of pocket costs prior to your PT sessions.
You just focus on your recovery. Physical Therapy Now is the best in the business, so we’ll handle the rest.